Have you ever wonder how magicians change a human into a tiger? How about making the card disappear and make it reappear? Is it really magic? Yes, it is.
According to Wikipedia, magic is an art of performing illusions and tricks (most magicians prefer effects than tricks). It is entertaining people, not making fun of them nor making them feel stupid (though some feel stupid). Magic is fun especially if you know how it is done and how to perform it. As quoted from Jay Sankey, "Knowing the trick doesn't make you a magician." Most people think they are superior when they know the trick but I pity them. That's not what magic is. Magic is more than knowing it.
Just like music, magic has different genre. Magic isn't only making elephant disappear, it isn't only cutting the sexy assistant into half, it isn't only making a person levitate. There are many to mention. One of them is the close-up magic.
Close-up magic unlike stage magic is performing the craft near to an audience. It is the magic that I consider performing. Why? It is cheaper in materials and tools needed, nearer to the audience, and could interact better with the audience than stage magic. There are three basic types of close-up magic that I could think of. The first is card magic, second is rope magic, and third is coin magic.
Card magic. Deals with cards (amazed?). This magic is the easiest among the three. It would take only a minute to teach an apprentice with the simplest effect. This where I started my craft. Some cards have nice effects. Some cards are used in sleight of hands. For a laymen (non magicians), cards with effects are better to use. They have better impact. For fellow magicians, sleights are more preferable. Some magicians mix the two subcategories of card magic for a better impact. My point here is that a magician also considers who will be his audience. Different tools for different applications. Ask an electrian if he used a hammer to repair a television.
Rope magic. Deals with ropes (amazed again?). This magic is easier than coin magic. But unlike card magic, it requires serious practice. I am still mastering the art in cards. I will be learning with ropes soon. So what is rope magic? If you had been a boy or girl scout or a mountaineer, you know different types of knots. In rope magic, you are required to know most of them. Ropes require knots.
Coin magic. Deals with coins (amazed again and again?). This magic is easy to do. But unlike the two other subcategories of close-up magic, it requires you to practice and practice more and more seriously (exaggerated? Not really. Still not enough). You should have soft hands when you deal with this. It is normal for a newbie (like me) to have hard hands. I tell you, it is painful when you do the basic routines of coin magic. I am still softening my hands. But I have a problem which I cannot expose. I am also having a hard time with coin magic.
You maybe thinking why is coin magic easy when I'm having a hard time learning and practicing it. Magic is easy if you are determined to learn and practice. As the great Dai Vernon said, even if it is a simple trick but you practice it over and over again, that will make a big difference. Practice makes perfect.
It is almost time to pack up. See you again in my next post.
Magically,
NiƱo
Monday, April 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment